Medical Equipment and Supplies
According to the Global Trade Atlas, in 2012 Mexico exported 6,343 million dollars worth of medical equipment, positioning the country as the tenth exporter of medical devices worldwide, the first in Latin America, and the United States´ main supplier.
The medical equipment and supplies industry is one of the main manufacturing clusters in Baja California and it’s considered a national leader for concentrating the highest number of companies and employment generation, production value, and exports ranging from large multinational firms to medium-size subcontractors with custom production capacity. Additionally, Baja California, along with San Diego, California, constitutes the broadest and most sophisticated binational group of medical products in North America.
The manufacturing of medical supplies in Baja California covers a wide spectrum, from implantable devices, devices for patient care support, electro medical equipment, to surgical and treatment consumables.
Currently, Baja California exports 50% of the total medical devices manufactured in the country and sustains a growing rate of 8% per year with foreign investment from the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, Island, Sweden, New Zealand, Singapore, etc. In the last years, this sector has settled not only for the arrival of new investments, but due to the expansion of operations of the already settled companies, which find optimum conditions for their growth and development in Baja California.
The country´s most important cluster is located in Baja California, its companies represent over 34.1% of the total national exports in the sector and they are mostly related to the manufacture and assembly of equipment and components.
From Baja California´s industrial workforce, over 50,000 employees belong to the industry of medical instruments, distributed along 60 industrial plants in the state. Such workforce includes professionals and technicians with wide experience and knowledge of the worldwide quality standards and performance.
Baja California has the best educational system in the country, leading in education and performance.
In order to increase the workforce standards, the State Government offers education and training courses such as linking programs between companies and schools, with the purpose of aiding in the development of the educational programs according to the industry´s needs.
- The value chain is constituted by the manufacture of generic supplies, assembly and packaging, disposable medical products, orthopedic products, and medical and surgical products.
- An annual expenditure of $1.5 billion dollars is estimated for materials.
- 93% of supplies are made out of plastic (polypropylene, vynil/PVC, polystyrene, polycarbonate, PET, HDPE, Evoprene).
- The sterile chambers rate from class 100 to 100,000.
- Products are Class I, II and III according to the Food and Drug Administration.
- Research and development is oriented towards improving products, processes, and working methods.
- In the last years, the companies established in Baja California have incorporated new products, processes, and equipment in the transformation areas.
- A highly regulated sector.
Manufacturing of products such as:
- Orthopedic devices
- Metal dental pieces
- Anesthesia circuit connections
- Surgical instruments
- Diagnostic equipment
- Drug delivery devices
- Needleless suturing technology
- Ophthalmic lenses
- Hemodialysis tube sets
- Cardiac pacemakers